Yo, Dudes and Dudettes! My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in about 6 seconds. If not, surf yourself over to
http://www.1WineDude.com
and update your bookmarks. And keep it real!

Get Wine Smarties! The 1WineDude Tasting Guide is NOW AVAILABLE!

3 Things an Infant Can Teach You About Drinking Wine

(images: firstrung.co.uk, www.2112.net/powerwindows, freelanceswitch.com, ecx.images-amazon.com)

In a mere 2 1/2 weeks, my infant daughter has taught me a lot about life - how fragile, strong, miraculous, and "gritty" it can be, sometimes all at once.

What I didn't expect is that she would also teach me something about wine appreciation.

Now, before you go running for the phone to report me for child abuse, I'm not feeding this kid any vino. The most she gets of that would come from the residual bits in Mrs. Dudette's breast milk.

What I'm talking about is watching her eat (er, is it "drink" right now?). It's actually made me reflect a bit on how we (as adults) normally eat and drink in our crazy, not-enough-minutes-in-the-day kind of world.

And I can sum it up in three little words...

SLOW DOWN, BABY.

Actually, you can even shorten it down to two words (SLOW DOWN), for those of you who are really, really busy.

My daughter (more or less) waits until she is pretty hungry, makes her "hungry face" (which consists of her sticking out her tongue and flailing her head around looking for a waiting nipple), then latches on and starts sucking and gulping like a crazed, wild animal. She does stop to breathe - but only when she has to. Or when we burp her (those burps would finish her in the top 5 in any beer-guzzling bar burping contests, by the way).

And you know what? Daddy isn't much better.

I eat 4 to 5 meals a day, trying to load the calories up in the AM and gradually lighten my food intake so that dinner is usually a small-ish meal. When I eat lunch, I'm usually in the middle of something else. Instead of being "in the moment" and enjoying the food, I gulp i down as if it were the only meal I would receive that week and someone will come to snatch it away from me
if I'm not finished "eating" it in 5 minutes or less.

Watching my lil' bundle of joy has made me realize that this is probably not the most mature way to ensure I'm getting the right amount of conscious enjoyment - not to mention nutritional value - out of my meals.

If I used the same approach to appreciating wine, I wouldn't even taste it, let alone be able to evaluate its aromas, or enjoy any lingering finish that a great wine has to offer!

Let's get to the nitty-gritty and summarize.
On the winding road of life, watching how an infant eats can show us what (not) to do to really appreciate our wine (and our food):

1) Slow Down (Baby)
Take your time. There is no reason to rush that glass down your throat. Look at the wine. Smell the wine. Check out the colors of the wine in your glass. Swirl it and smell it again. Get to know the wine a little bit - after all, you're going to be putting it into your body, if nothing else you should make sure it's something that you really want in there!

2) Be In The Moment
Think about the wine and its aromas and flavors. Don't think about all the things you need to get done tomorrow, whether or not you think the restaurant's veggies will be overly-buttered, if the baby-sitter is eying up your beer (OK, maybe you should worry about that last one), etc.

3) Don't Forget To Pause - and Breathe
Once a glass of wine is poured, wine needs air to really show its stuff. And you need air, too. To clear your mind, help you focus, and remind you to pause and actually live and enjoy each moment of life. And each glass in your hand.

Cheers!

0 comments:

The Wine Messenger

International Wine Accessories